Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Year SIX: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #48

Hello, happy Sunday :)


Finished Objects (FOs):
1. Pussy Hat: started January 10, 2017; finished January 16, 2017
2. Hermione's Everyday Socks (v2): started November 14, 2016; finished January 28, 2017
3. Frene Creek Farm Corriedale (spinning): started October 12, 2016; finished January 16, 2017
4. Pikachu Hat: started February 3, 2017; finished February 10, 2017
5. Trusty (v2): started December 22, 2016; finished February 24, 2017
6. Pussy Hat: started February 13, 2017; finished February 27, 2017
7. Pussy Hat: started March 2, 2017; finished March 8, 2017
8. Pussy Hat: started March 9, 2017; finished March 21, 2017
9. Pussy Hat: started March 21, 2017; finished March 30, 2017
10. FlockSock Yarn #1: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
11. FlockSock Yarn #2: started April 5, 2017; finished April 5, 2017
12. #initiateknitdesign challenge from ArohaKnits: started April 3, 2017; finished April 11, 2017
13. Knit Picks Bare Palette Fingering: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
14. Malabrigo Rios: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
15. Nashua Creative Focus Superwash: started April 9, 2017; finished April 9, 2017
16. Pussy Hat: started April 13, 2017; finished April 30, 2017
17. Pussy Hat: started April 30, 2017; finished May 13, 2017
18. Messed Up Moss: started January 4, 2017; finished May 17, 2017
19. Pussy Hat: started May 19. 2017; finished May 23, 2017
20. Pussy Hat: started May 24, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
21. Baby Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
22. Pussy Hat: started May 26, 2017; finished May 26, 2017
23. Bugga Bare (2 matching): started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
24. Bugga Bare: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
25. Bugga Bare: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
26. Malabrigo Twist: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
27. Malabrigo Twist: started June 3, 2017; finished June 4, 2017
23. Vanilla Socks: started March 30, 2017; finished June 8, 2017
24. Stormageddon's Vest: started October 17 2016; finished June 9, 2017
25. BMFA Handpainted Roving: started March 23, 2017; finished June 23, 2017
26: Malabrigo Sock: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
27. Malabrigo Sock: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
28. Sanguine Gryphon Traveller: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
29. Sanguine Gryphon Traveller: started July 3, 2017; finished July 4, 2017
30. Bonbon for Miss C: started June 24, 2017; finished July 6, 2017
31. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving: started July 1, 2017; finished July 7, 2017
32. Sandy's Palette Merino/Silk Roving: started July 2, 2017; finished July 10, 2017
33. Miss Babs BFL: started July 11, 2017; finished July 21, 2017
34. Yarn Dyeing Adventures: started August 6, 2017; finished August 6, 2017
35. Unnamed Hat: started August 14, 2017; finished August 24, 2017
36. Veggie Socks: started July 6, 2017; finished September 8, 2017
37. Wasabi for Mr. K: started September 17, 2017; finished September 25, 2017
*38. Twilight Socks (from blanks): started June 8, 2017; frogged September 26, 2017
39. Baby Hat Prototype: started October 23, 2017; finished October 31, 2017
*40. Neck-Down Base Shawl: started September 10, 2017; frogged November 16, 2017
41. Vanillaish Rainbow Socks: started June 1, 2017; finished November 17, 2017
42. Rastarmulke: started November 20, 2017; finished November 21, 2017

I started and finished a project this week: a Yarmulke in Rasta colors.


One of our friends (our realtor) is Jewish and is a bit......well, he's an odd duck, honestly. He asked me about making him a Rasta-colored Yarmulke maybe two years ago and I wasn't crazy about the idea but I said I'd look into it. Well, all the patterns on Ravelry just weren't cutting it and were all written for different weight yarn and finally, I just said, "screw it; I'll make it up as I go along" and lo, we have this Yarmulke. Bonus is that it's a perfect fit and size. Who knew?1


Works-in-Progress (WIPs):
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. Oh, She IS a Bad Nut: started August 11, 2016
3. Fall in San Francisco (prototype 3): started October 4, 2016
4. Smooth Operator Socks: started October 13, 2016
5. Morvarch Aardvark: started January 1, 2017
6. Stomping Grounds collection: started February 26, 2017 (no project page)
7. Hat Design: started March 20, 2017
8. Garter Stitch Baby Blanket: started July 6, 2017
9. New Hat Design (for the unnamed hat in the FO section): started August 14, 2016
10. Shetland Neck Wool on Support Spindle: started September 8, 2017
11. Boo-Yah: started September 25, 2017
12. Gamer Bag: started September 28, 2017
13. Paradiddle Prototype: started October 19, 2017
14. Mittens for Little Man: started November 25, 2017
15. Rasta Ski Cap: started November 25, 2017

I guess I'm back to the "finish one, start two" mantra again. I've been meaning to make mittens for Little Man out of the yarn that matches his scarf. I'm sort of loosely using Susan B. Anderson's Waiting for Winter Mittens for lengths of things but that's about it (because the pattern doesn't match up with the yarn weight or needles that I'm using). So, I'm kind of winging them. Luckily, it's super bulky yarn so they should go pretty quickly. I actually had them started earlier this week and I left them out on the bed so I could go help Husband with something.....and Stormageddon pulled all the DPNs out. I thought about trying to pick up the stitches and decided that I would just restart them. 

In addition to the mittens, I also started a beanie using the same yarn I used for the Yarmulke noted above. It's nothing fancy and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but that's something to think about on a different day. 

Aside from the new projects, I picked up some of my other WIPs. I worked a couple rounds on the Paradiddle Prototype (socks). They're slow going because it's 1x1 ribbing and it will probably be 20-25 rounds....sooooo sloooooooow. I also worked a few rows on the Garter Stitch Baby Blanket. Now that I'm on the 3rd skein, I've stared the decreases. I'm hoping it'll be large enough for a baby when it's finished. I'm not that fussed about it, though. 

Lastly, I pulled out Wink and worked maybe a full pattern repeat. That means I'm almost to the armholes, which is lovely. It's still slow-going because of the cables and the long rows but progress is progress, especially considering how long I've had that project on my needles. 




And my "OMGLSGWTFBBQ" Lists

Children's Items:
1. Stuffed toy for Miss E (SIL's adopted daughter)
2. Stuffed toy for TAZ (brother's daughter)
3. Undetermined hat for Little Man
4. Undetermined hat for Stormageddon
5. Mittens for Stormageddon


Items for ME (selfish knitting FTW!):
1. Park Slope (fingering, specifically Mountain Colors Crazy Foot)
2. Worsted weight house socks (worsted, of course - maybe something like Lumberjack)
4. Evangeline (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. Lichen (Aran or Sport/DK; solid or semi-solid)
6. Moyen Age (fingering; one of my Vice Yarns? Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20?)
7. Ginny's Cardigan (DK; solid or semi-solid)
8. Drip Drip Drop (sock; solid or semi-solid)
9. Celtic Myths (worsted; solid)
10. Jag in Garter Stitch (DK; 2 colors)
11. Cobh (fingering; 2 colors)
12. Offhand Lace (bulky; solid or semi-solid)
13. Whitman (DK; any color)
14. Flax (worsted; any color - Misti Alpaca Harry Potter-esque one?)
15. Hoar Frost (Wollmeise that's wound in the bag)


Christmas/Charity Bin:

1. 198 Yds of Heaven (worsted; solid)
2. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
3. Tombreck (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
4. Premie Spiral Hat (DK; any color)
5. Pumpkins & a Pattern (any weight, any color - gauge doesn't matter)


Designs:

1. Susan's Hat *started* - need new prototype & write pattern
2. Little Man's Baby Blanket *started* - write pattern
3. Paradiddle Socks  *started* - need prototype & write pattern
4. Pacific Waves Hat *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
5. Fall in San Francisco *started* - need another prototype & write pattern
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket - need prototype & write pattern
7. Cabled pullover (grey look-alike sweater - Old Navy hooded sweater with cable) - need sketch, grading, swatch, prototype, & write pattern
8. Christmas stocking for Little Man - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
9. Christmas stocking for Stormageddon - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
10. Christmas stocking for Husband - need charts, prototype, & write pattern (maybe)
11. Stomping Grounds collection (everything: charts, prototypes, swatches, etc.) *started*
2. Something from the stash...(lord knows I have plenty)


Other:
1. Stitch markers

2. Make sure my vintage patterns are in Ravelry (Workbasket magazines, leaflets, etc.)



For those of you not in the US, this week was Thanksgiving, meaning we spend a day giving thanks for all the things we have and the people in our lives, and then the next day, we turn into a bunch of horrendous assholes on our way to get the latest and greatest toys at discount prices on Black Friday. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

Little Man had school on Monday and Tuesday and was off the rest of the week. Monday was kind of an off day for him. He wound up smacking his head on things twice within 10 minutes. The first time, he and one of his friends bumped heads together because they were messing around. The second time, he ran into a flag pole (yeah, I don't even know how that happened with that one). 


Prior to that, Stormageddon fell asleep in the car. 


Monday late morning, before getting Little Man from school and before the head bumps and all that, Stormageddon and I went down to Sunnyvale to pick up the family's shirts & bibs for the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot. He was not cooperative, to say the least. I was going to let him walk with me but he decided to try to run off in the parking lot, which was busy because everyone was going in and out, getting their shirts & bibs. He wound up in the stroller because he was so uncooperative. ::sigh:: 

During one of our walks home, Little Man got brave and decided he wanted to try to pick up one of the caterpillars that we see.



On Wednesday, we went to the zoo. We had passes for the carousel so I let the boys have a ride.



We didn't actually stay at the zoo for very long because Husband's back wasn't quite up for it. We got around to the petting/farm animal area, the insects, we stopped at the playground, saw the Komodo dragon (and ran into a couple of Little Man's classmates), and a few other animals, before we headed out. 


The prairie dogs are my favorites. This fat little guy was just hanging out, eating food, and being lazy.




Thursday was Thanksgiving and our Turkey Trot. We were super late. They were actually pulling down everything when we started and we were walking. But, we did a full 5K. Actually, between the walk from the car to the starting point and back, we did almost a 7K (which is just over 4 miles). Then we came home to cook and eat and be merry and such.



This was our turkey, I swear! 

Okay, no, it wasn't. I mean, it's a turkey and Little Man and I made it (it comes as a pre-made cookie decorating kit from Trader Joe's) but that wasn't our protein. We had actual turkey...and everything else, of course.

Friday, we avoided leaving the house until later in the afternoon when we made our way to Home Depot. We did work around the house instead (which was not fun, of course). I went through all the boys' toys and we wound up with something like 9 boxes of toys as well as a garbage bag full of broken ones that exited our house accordingly. I also went through Stormageddon's clothes and we moved several things around in the house (mostly toys and books). Oh, and the Christmas tree, Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and Festivus Pole were put up. 

Yesterday, we did more housework. I helped Husband with some beer brewing (mostly cleanup type stuff), I found my corner in the bedroom, and a few other random things. It wasn't a very exciting day. Oh well.


Here's something entertaining for you:



If you look closely, you can see that this Honda Civic is parked in the cart return for Bed Bath & Beyond. Yeah, it's actually in the cart return. And it wasn't even Black Friday! I thought about parking our cart right behind their car but the irony probably would have been lost on them. 


Anyway, I hope you've had a lovely week and weekend :) 

4 comments:

  1. The cart return! I don't think I've ever seen one wide enough, even for my sub-compact car!
    Sometimes I look at your lists and feel overwhelmed! That's a lot of FOs,
    Super bulky children's mitts? A bit like wearing boxing gloves, I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time when returning a cart to the cart corral, I found two young females parked in front of it. It was so tempting to leave my shopping cart directly behind their car, but they looked like they had serious attitudes and my 50-something self wasn't up to a fight with two twenty-something "mean girls". I decided to content myself with giving them an unimpressed look that I hoped conveyed "you are an idiot" because I didn't know how to say "you are a selfish pig" with just my face. I don't imagine they were smart (or decent) enough to compute either message, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rasta yamulka (did I spell that right?) I don't think so. Anyways, I also love the turkey you made. That is funny about wanting to park behind that car, and then they would have to give you a quarter, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that Little Man has a head of steel. I'm glad he didn't knock himself out. Love how the baby sleeps in his car seat. My girls are always hung over when they fall asleep in the back.

    ReplyDelete