Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Stash Enhancement 2016: Last Post of the Year!

Happy Saturday!

As today is the last Saturday of 2016, I thought it would be appropriate to show you the last of this year's stash acquisitions/enhancements (that I know of - I don't think anything else will come in today).

Firstly, I had a StevenBe Inappropriate club box show up a couple weeks ago (warning: inappropriate is part of the name...).


This box included patterns (of course), my inappropriate gift (the socks), and a wonderful skein of yarn.


The yarn is Supersquish DK from Celestial Strings in the Naughty List colorway. The pattern is for a cowl, which I may or may not make. We'll see how I feel about it later.


In addition to my StevenBe box, I also picked up a few skeins in a destash. Story of my life.


This is a skein of BFL/Silk DK from Northbound Knitting in the Livid Entoloma colorway. It's not as yellow as it shows in the picture. Bad lighting will do that.


From the same destash, I picked up these two skeins of Little Red Bicycle Tandem Sport in the Leonidas colorway. The color is mostly correct. There's maybe a yellowish tinge but it's so faint for this one that it doesn't matter much.


And then, a few days after Christmas, a friend and I went to a yarn store. It seems like every yarn store I've set foot in recently closes within a year or two. Seriously, since moving to California, I've seen four close (two within the last year). I'm kind of scared to go into yarn stores. But, I needed time away from my children and she wanted to go to a yarn store. So, off we trotted to Uncommon Threads in Los Altos, which is about a 20-30 minute drive from my house.

One of the things I'm trying to do is to find yarn that I don't have in my stash. In other words: new to me yarns.

I came up with a few lovelies:


This is a skein of Phydeaux Yarns Beurre Superwash DK Merino Wool in Calypso. I've heard of the company but this is the first I've actually seen it. It's got about 230 yds of squishy goodness. I have no idea what it's going to grow up to be but I have a feeling it will be something like Whitman or another Trusty Hat (see my Year of Projects post for more information about those). Or maybe I'll make it up as I go along. That's not unusual for me.

I may or may not have fallen into some sock yarn. Again.

These are all Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM), which run about 175 yds each - so I need two for a pair of socks).


I found one of these first. I dug through the entire shelf looking for a mate. There were stackable boxes with diagonal dividers and there were probably 5 filled with KPPPM. I went through each one, pulled out everything, went around to the other side and dug through the back from the other side.....could not find a mate. Obviously I found one but only after I discovered the overstock way up high and saw it.


This one had plenty of mates. It called to me. It came home.


And then there's this one. I searched high and low for a mate, even checked into the overstock.....no mate to be found. But, I couldn't just let it sit there, destined to be unloved because it didn't have a mate.....I have enough neutrals I could stripe with it (I'm thinking black), I should be able to stretch two socks out of it. Right? If you don't agree, hush up and let me have my dream.




With that, my year of transparency of yarn acquisitions ends. I may or may not have acquired a lot of yarn this year. I hope to acquire less in the coming year and work from stash. Hahahaha. I might have to continue this trend, though. It's nice to know what I brought in. Also, it forces me to get things entered into the Ravelry database.

I hope you're having a lovely New Years' Eve. I'll be back tomorrow with a shiny brand new Self-Imposed Year of Projects update :)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely stash...I have one to post, I believe....will throw up the link....I love Kiogu, have an entire small tub of them...I was also gifted two with a purple pompom to make a hat....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how much I like Koigu until I saw your pictures. Yum.

    ReplyDelete