Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Y5: Self-Imposed Year of Projects - Update #24

Happy Sunday!

We are here for my Year of Projects update. Today marks my 24th update (though most of the others are on update #50 because they're six months ahead of me - you can find out more about the Year of Projects in the Ravelry group).

Let's get started!

FOs (Finished Objects)
1. Fire Socks: started April 15, 2015; finished January 6, 2016
2. Nottingham for Stormageddon: started January 12, 2016; finished January 14, 2016
3. Design proposal for Fire Socks: started January 13, 2016; finished January 18, 2016
4. Purple merino/silk spinning (singles): started toward the end of Tour de Fleece (July 4-26, 2015); finished January 29, 2016
5. Nottingham for Little Man: started January 17, 2016; finished February 1, 2016
6. Swirl Hat: started December 16, 2015; finished February 4, 2016
7. Swatch for Marly Bird class at Stitches West: started January 8, 2016; finished February 7, 2016 (no project page)
8. Fire Socks design (the actual pattern writing & photography part): started February 6, 2016; finished February 12, 2016 (link to the preview; pattern went live on Saturday, April 2nd)
9. Mountains Beanie: started February 9, 2016; finished February 17, 2016
10. Rathmore: started February 25, 2016; finished March 4, 2016
11. Dragon's Egg Socks: started September 2, 2013; finished March 9, 2016
12. Creeper for Little Man: started March 4, 2016; finished March 10, 2016
13. Mother Bear Project #1: started February 22, 2016; finished March 12, 2016
14. Asshole Corriedale (spinning project): started March 23, 2016; finished March 24, 2016
15. Pacific Waves: started March 9, 2016; finished March 25, 2016
16. Freeport Vest Frogging: started March 29, 2016; finished March 29, 2016
17. Pacific Waves: started March 31, 2106; finished April 2, 2016
18. Vanilla Latte Socks: started November 19, 2015; finished April 6, 2016
19. Snape's Stockings: started August 20, 2014; finished April 11, 2016
20. Pacific Waves: started April 3, 2016; finished April 15, 2016
21. Creeper Hat: started April 28, 2016; finished May 4, 2016
22: Finn & Suffolk blend (spinning): started April 1, 2016; singles finished May 27, 2016; plied May 31, 2016
23. Gex for Little Man: started April 8, 2016; finished June 5, 2016

Gex is off the needles and the ends have been woven in. I've even given it a good soak (lots of indigo colored dye in the sink when I finished). It's currently hanging out in the back room, on the bed, drying...who knows how long that's going to take. I'm hoping it grows a bit because in it's unblocked state, it was just fitting Little Man. ::sigh:: Damn children. Too big. Much wow.

Other than that, no new finished things...not surprising. However, I did run into Little Man's teacher, who is on maternity leave. She had the baby at the end of May and it turns out the little hat I made (#20 on the list) was a little big and her mom washed it. It shrunk a little and now it fits perfectly. Woo-hoo!


WIPs (Works-In-Progress) - carried over year-to-year
1. Wink: started January 5, 2015
2. CashSilk Fern Scarf: started April 7, 2016
3. Bridal Shower Lace Cloth: started April 27, 2016
4. Caffe Macchiato Socks: started May 7, 2016

I've done very little knitting this last week, which is unsurprising due to my mental state as of late. I did work a few rounds on the Caffe Macchiato Socks and finished the aforementioned Gex but that's about it.

What I did work on this past week was a buttload of writing. Yeah, you read that correctly: writing. And obviously that doesn't mean I was blogging. I've had a few ideas in my head so I've been writing. One is a dystopian future about 200 years from now. I'm not going to go into it because it's still in the very early stages, but I've got around 10 pages of writing/notes (typed), which is around 4000 words. And then, as if one writing project wasn't enough, I had another one come up that insisted on being started. That one has to do with proving the existence of parallel/alternate realities in two of these said realities. They're both on the sci-fi spectrum, which is also kind of strange for me. I like watching it...don't know how I feel about writing it. But, it's happening. That's part of why I've not been knitting too much. I've also been reading, but that's a separate issue.

Sooooo, moving along...


Children's Items
1. George's Vest (for Stormageddon - probably the largest size; YOTH Little Brother from Stitches)
2. House Hat (one each for Stormageddon and Little Man - worsted, two contrasting colors)
3. Arthur the Alien (for Little Man - worsted; any colors)
4. Holiday Countdown Stockings (for the family - Aran/worsted; four colors)
5. Mirkwood (for Little Man - worsted or bulky; any colors)
6. Something for a baby (brother's baby!) - sweater probably, maybe a toy or socks or lots of things...KNIT ALL THE BABY THINGS!

Items for ME (selfish knitting, FTW!!)
1. Vanillaish Socks (using one of my Harry Potter Yarns)
2. Paradiddle Socks (using a solid or semi-solid sock yarn)
3. Hermione Hearts Ron (sport weight; solid or semi-solid - Plucky Primo in Petunia?)
4. Hermione Hearts Ron Fingerless Mitts (sport weight; solid or semi-solid - Plucky Primo in Petunia?)
5. Classic Silk Mayfaire Camisole (Miss Babs from Stitches Midwest)
6. Stormont (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
7. Sockhead Hat (sock; any colors)
8. Moab Shawl (sock; any colors) *need pattern*
9. Prowl (DK; solid or semi-solid) *need pattern*

Secret Sock Club Bags - Pick a bag at random; do pattern with yarn
1. Scotch & Soda Scarf (using Briar Rose Fibers Wistful, leftover from my Icarus Shawl)
2. Jabberwonky (using KP Felici in Abracadabra)
3. If You Know Where To Go (using KP Felici in Green Veggies)
4. Gardener's Socks (using Malabrigo Sock in Indiacita)

Stranded Knitting
1. University of Wisconsin Ski Hat
2. University of Wisconsin Christmas Stocking
3. University of Wisconsin Button Beanie
4. Xanadu Snowflake Cowl

Christmas/Charity Bin
1. 198 yds. of Heaven (worsted; any colors)
2. Phillip and Mr. Grum (sock yarn; any colors)
3. Comfort Food (Aran; solid)
4. Fine Fella (worsted; solid or semi-solid)
5. November Leaves (Shelter from stash) *need pattern*
6. Skinner Hat (sock; solid or semi-solid) *need pattern*
7. The Shoemaker's Hat (bulky; solid or semi-solid) *need pattern*
8. Roll Out The Barrels (cotton; any colors)
9. Sweeny Todd Scarf (worsted; any colors)
10. The Snowmen Cometh (worsted; any colors)
11. Sunburst Dishcloth (cotton; any colors)
12. Starfish Cloth (cotton; any colors)
13. Seamless Circular Cloth (cotton; any colors)
14. Tombreck (Aran/worsted; solid or semi-solid)
15. Premie Spiral Hat (for hospital donations - sport or DK; any colors)

Designs
1. Ice Somethingsomething (knit prototype and pattern for submission)
2. Susan's Hat (make proper - photos, pattern, etc.; knit new prototype from Babs K2 from Stitches)
3. Little Man's Baby Blanket (make proper - photos, pattern, etc.)
4. Paradiddle Socks (knit prototype - see "Items for ME")
5. Pacific Waves Hat (knit prototypes in various weights/sizes, pattern for submission? self-publish?) *I've started this*
6. Stormageddon's Baby Blanket (design process, knit prototype, etc.)

Spinning
1. Spin approximately 4 oz of either a grey wool or white merino to ply with the purple silk/merino listed in the FO section above.

Other (for things that are fibery/crafty in nature but not specific to knitting or spinning)
1. Organize my handmade stitch markers
2. Make more stitch markers (to sell? donate? hoard?)
3. Organize my books/magazines/loose patterns. *started*

Let's not talk about this.....



Things in San Francisco are......well, the atmosphere is nuts around here. With the Golden State Warriors in the NBA Finals for the second year in a row (playing the same team they played last year and beat in 6 games) and the San Jose Sharks are in the NHL Finals (playing the Pittsburgh Penguins, I believe)........yeah, it's crazy around here. Extra traffic, sports celebrities in town, and, of course, political garbage going on (the California Primary was Tuesday)... Sometimes, I'm glad things are so close by because I don't like dealing with all the people and traffic on good days, much less when things are crazy. Oh, and let's not forget that this place is nuts to begin with.

A bit closer to home, meaning not the entire Bay Area, Little Man's almost finished with school for the year. His last day will be Wednesday, when he has preschool graduation. He's so excited about going to Kindergarten in the fall...but I have eight weeks with him and Stormageddon before then. I think we're going to be going to the park a lot, watching tons of movies, playing outside when it's not too hot (we got them a kiddie pool yesterday, which will help), going to the beach, going to the zoo, and doing a ton of other free(ish) things. Oh, and playdates with the kids from his class because he's going to miss them.

I already mentioned the California Primary so I'm just going to skip over that, other than to say that yes, I voted; no, I didn't get a sticker. Why? Absentee ballot because I did not like the idea of going to the polling place with Stormageddon and Little Man in tow.


This was the (bad) selfie I took on Tuesday because I was annoyed with everyone's "I voted" stickers. See my annoyance? I'm annoyed. I wanted my damn sticker. ::sigh::

Other than that, not much else has been happening. Stormageddon is almost entirely off naps, which means he's going to bed a bit earlier but it also means we can go do things in the middle of the day. Sometimes he falls asleep in the car, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes I give him a nap when he's particularly crabby, sometimes I let him deal with it. 

In addition to that, I've had to cut him loose when I take him to school to pick up Little Man (or when I drop him off). He's figured out how to wiggle out of his restraints on the stroller so I may as well just let him out. He actually tipped his stroller backwards (while in it) last Monday morning because he was almost wiggled out. He didn't get hurt or anything but it did scare him. Silly boy. I caught him just out of the corner of my eye, while I was signing Little Man in for the day. 



Oh, and he's been protesting shoes. So, he didn't wear shoes and learned a lesson about the hot blacktop. Now he's been keeping his shoes on. Silly boy.


On Wednesday afternoon, I took the boys to Fletch's, which is a Chicago-style hot dog place downtown. The owner is from Chicago so he has a clue about proper hot dogs. It's a nice "home" place for us. We talk Midwest stuff with Fletch when we come in and he's working (which is usually during the week, I've noticed). The place is covered in Chicago memorabilia, mostly sports stuff, but also newspaper clippings, photos, shirts...the whole thing. Yeah, we're not Chicago people...but it's close to home and Husband has family there. Stormageddon, of course, did not want to sit in his stroller. So, he sat by Little Man for a bit, ate some fries, ate a bit of his little slider burger, and tried my mozzarella sticks (he wasn't a fan). Then he got really excited when the train went by. It's right next to the Caltrain tracks that run from San Francisco down to Gilroy (along the Peninsula).

Thursday, we thought we'd do something nice and go to the Melting Pot for dinner. We had 7:30pm reservations for the four of us.......it did not go well. We didn't see anyone until about 7:50pm and that was just the runner delivering our water. Our waiter came around 8:10pm, we got our first course around 8:20pm and by 8:45pm, just as our main meal had arrived, Stormageddon was throwing a tantrum and was very crabby so I wound up taking him to the car while Husband and Little Man finished dinner (Husband brought me some and I ate after we got home and I got Stormageddon to bed). We were not happy about it. I understand that it's supposed to be a laid back, somewhat savory dining experience...but they knew we had two small children (as did other people in the area - they place all the people with kids in the same area, which is usually away from others). Making us wait almost an hour to even start eating was unacceptable. Pity. We like that place. I guess we'll just do our own at home. We even pulled out the phones and put movies on for the boys. Little Man was pretty good, actually. Stormageddon just was not having any of it. ::sigh:: Mister Independent.

Also on Thursday, our realtor/friend (seriously, he sold us our house and now we hang out with him all the time)...well, he brought us over some fresh honeycombs. He lives up in the Hillsborough hills (where the rich people live) and one of his neighbors had a 100+ year old bayleaf tree come crashing down and it contained a very well-established honey bee colony. He called in professionals and he's going to set up some proper hives from these bees. They should know in about a week if they caught the queen or not. In the meantime, we got a bunch of honeycombs and we now have some raw honey. He said the bees were really mellow, which helped when he was gathering the combs.

Other than that, not much else happened. I have some photos from the week though. That always helps!


Stormageddon climbed into bed with me on Thursday afternoon and insisted that I turn on Pocoyo for him. He loves that show, just as Little Man does. In addition to that, I learned that he's been paying attention when I watch Doctor Who. I bought a book the other day (this one), Doctor Who: The Time Lord Letters, and it's sitting next to the bed on my table. Stormageddon picked it up, pointed at Peter Capaldi and the Tardis (repeatedly), and said, very clearly, "Doctorwho" (yes, all one word). He did it again on Friday in front of Little Man, who confirmed that he actually did say, "Doctor Who." He's so silly. I'm also quite impressed. I think Little Man was older than that when he first said it.




This is kind of a random photo of the sidewalk. Little Man, Stormageddon, and I walk to and from school every day. I saw this on the sidewalk two days in a row, two discarded blobs of gum (that have been well-worn into the sidewalk) and a stick. Looks like a smiley face. Photo taken.

Friday afternoon, we watched a lot of movies and the boys played outside....and Stormageddon decided he could climb into Daddy's chair and recline it (it's just a button on the side). He's cute so I let him. He didn't hurt anything. Also, he's just like his big brother and puts buckets (or drums) on his head and walks around. Weirdo. He finally allowed me to sit and he sat with me (hence the selfie). I think we were watching the Incredibles.








Little Man also got in on the action. He and Puppy hogged the couch while we watched movies. This was probably during the Incredibles, also. He was outside for most of the Minion movie.


Anyway, I hope you're having a lovely weekend. Perhaps I'll have an FO Friday (if I get around to taking photos of the sweater). 

1 comment:

  1. You've been busy! So cool to hear that you are writing, I hope it goes well. And looks like Stormageddon is really going through some big transitions! Exciting, but tough on mama, of course.

    ReplyDelete