Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

WIP Wednesday

Happy Wednesday!

Today, we have an installment of WIP Wednesday :) I've not done one of those in awhile...oops. Too many things going on, I suppose.

Anyway, the WIPs.


Wait. What? These look like finished socks.

Well.......they are finished socks. But you'll notice that they're not even close to matching. So, these are still WIPs.

The sock on the left is the first of my Traveling Socks. I started these on December 23, 2014 and I call them my Traveling Socks because they're the ones I have in my purse. They're just plain, vanilla socks done over 72 sts with an inch of ribbing and, in this case, a short-row heel, which is something I've not done on adult socks. I'm not completely sold on the idea of short-row heels but we'll see how I feel about them once I have a finished pair. They fit pretty well, though I think if I ever do short-row heels again, I'll need to make them a little shallower. It's fine, though. The yarn is Knit Picks Felici in Time Traveler, which is discontinued. I have several skeins in my stash so I expect I'll have a couple pairs of somewhat matchy-matchy socks. We'll see.

The sock on the right is the first of my Dragon's Egg Socks. These are my longest-running WIP right now as I started them on September 2, 2013...an entire year before Stormageddon was born. I've made a couple modifications with this one because of issues with fit. If I had made the leg as long as I was supposed to, these would be almost up to my knees...and they wouldn't fit over my calves. So, I shortened the leg. I also had to do some fancy work as I got closer to the toe and during the toe decreases. It worked and I took decent notes so I can replicate it for the second sock.

I've got a couple more WIPs in the works but these are the two I've had the most focus on recently.



I've also decided that it's time to start reading more often. On Monday, I went through my books with a notebook, wrote things down, and decided on a reading list of sorts. It's not in any order (though I do have books blocked off that need to be read together - like the Harry Potter series and the Lord of the Rings series)...I can just pick a book at random, for the most part. So, I picked a book.


The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer.

She's known for a lot of things: Neil Gaiman's wife, musician, TED talk speaker, and she had a pretty horrific and very public "breakup" with her record label, among many other things.

I'm only about 40 or so pages in but I like what I'm reading. I think part of it is because I do actually know something about her so a lot of what she refers to makes sense. But I also like what I'm reading because of the subject matter: asking for help when we need it. So often, people can't ask for help or view it as a failure of themselves, which it doesn't have to be.

I will warn you, however, there is some colorful language and if you've got a problem with f-bombs, this book may not be for you. But, if you can overlook that, it's a good read :)



Also, this happened to fall into my mailbox on Monday...


My new Beetlejuice project bag from Slipped Stitch Studios, along with a package of Beetlejuice stitch markers.



I'll be back on Friday with an installment of FO Friday (it's a two-fer!) and then on Sunday for my Year of Projects post. And maybe somewhere in between. We'll see how things go.

Today, I'm linking up with Ginny :)

Have a fabulous Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. You're too funny for knitting one of two different pairs of socks! I could never work up the ambition to finish the pair !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a third one on the needles......Snape's Stockings. I tend to have at least two pairs of socks going at once because they're among the "long term" projects. Seriously, socks take me forever...probably because I have too many pairs going at once...

      Delete
  2. Great socks and lucky you with the new project bag! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your socks in progress! Both of them look great, and I'm sure will be very happy to have mates- which of course you can knit using your new beetlejuice project bag and stitch markers! And I've heard good things about The Art of Asking- I'll have to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope the second socks don't take as long...

      Delete
  4. Doesn't Slipped Stitch Studios make the greatest bags? I've got an unreasonable amount of Time Traveler in my stash because I don't think they'll be able to bring it back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say 85% of my project bags are from Slipped Stitch Studios. I've got so many bags from them...but I love them and they speak to my geeky little heart :)

      Delete
  5. Cute WIPS! I love your Beetlejuice bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never ever able to snag Time Traveler...lucky you....and that is a great bag....and well I have lots of single socks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't tell you that at one point, I had 14 skeins...I've still got 10 unused, and 2 are going towards my current socks. So..........yeah. I was scared I wouldn't get it and maybe went a bit overboard. Oops.

      Delete
  7. The dragon egg socks in that green has that total HP acadamia vibe. I like how you made one of each. That keeps boredom at bay. Your Bellwood's bag made me smile. I used to love that movie and it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both socks - now to finish the pairs!!

    ReplyDelete