Minions (who do my bidding) and Followers (who do not)

About Me

My photo
Mama, wife, knitter, blogger, spinner, wannabe something or other. That's enough, right?

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Photoless WIP Wednesday...Maybe....?

Happy Wednesday :)

I've not done a WIP Wednesday in awhile...quite awhile...and that was only a Future WIPs post. That's fine and all but I feel like I should talk about my current WIPs.

According to my most recent Year of Projects update, I have six official WIPs...I may have a dishcloth started and hiding somewhere but that's not really part of this. I mean, it's a WIP and all but it's a dishcloth and I kind of always have one or two of those going because, really, it's mindless knitting and I need that sometimes.

Anyway, my WIPs...

1. Dragon's Egg Socks: started September 2, 2013

These currently are my longest-running WIP and I don't foresee them being finished anytime soon. The photo on my project page (which is linked above) isn't even closet to where I am but it's just a sign of how lazy I've been. If I remember correctly, I've just finished the heel flap and am in the process of doing the gusset decreases...and according to my notes, I'm starting "row 20" of the pattern...so I'm almost done with the gusset decreases, as well. But I'm only on the first sock. So, after all this, I still have a second sock. Luckily, I've found that second socks tend to go much quicker than the first one...so, if I pull it out and finish it up, I should have the second one finished before next September. Unfortunately, I do have to read charts for this project...and I can't do that with small children around.

I'm using Knit Picks Stroll Solids Heathers & Twists in Aurora Heather, which is a dark green. Initially, I started these on my US #1 (2.25 mm) Signature DPNs...and they were driving me nuts so I switched them out for two circulars and they started going a bit quicker. 

2. Pacific Shawl: started June 8, 2014

This is my second longest-running WIP but it's significantly younger than the socks mentioned above. I've not taken any photos of this project, which is definitely lazy...but it's hard to photograph with small children around that want to "help" with whatever you're doing. According to my notes, I'm getting ready to start the border. So, the "boring" part is finished. I do have a mistake that I'm debating about fixing...I can see exactly where it is and I think I know how to fix it but I don't know if I want to try. I've got no lifeline in so ripping back without screwing up isn't exactly an option. I did "fix" the problem...we'll see. It's kind of in "time out" because of the mistake...and because I have to read charts. Small children don't lend well to chart reading. I could probably do it with the socks...but not with this project.

I'm using Sanguine Gryphon Little Traveller in Reykjavik, which is kind of an ocean blue color, very fitting for something named after the Pacific Ocean. I think I've got it on a 32" circular in US #6 (4 mm). 

3. Swatch for The Dude: started July 16, 2014

This isn't exactly a WIP but it's kind of a very long-going WIP. Husband wants me to make The Dude sweater...which is fine and wonderful...except that the pattern is only written to a 50" chest, which won't even fit me, much less him...and he's pissy about yarn...so I had to find a yarn he'd like. So, I'm swatching because I'm going to have to re-write the pattern to accommodate both his measurements as well as the yarn he chose. Oh, and then I'm going to have to learn how to do colorwork knitted flat. I understand the theory of doing colorwork in the round but I can't wrap my head around colorwork knitted flat...which is going to include colorwork on purl rows. Sooooo....this is a long WIP. 

Right now, I'm working on US #9 (5.5 mm) needles. I think the yarn I'm using is Cascade 220 Superwash Aran...

4. Snape's Stockings: started August 20, 2014

I started these socks upon finishing up a different pair. I've also not taken any photos of this WIP...again, the lazy is strong in me. I'm in the middle of the heel flap of the first sock. It's not a particularly difficult pattern but I do have to read some charts and, again, small children and charts don't work well together in my world. Sooo...these are kind of on "time out" for now. I do like these socks and they should be fabulous when I finish...but I need to finish them first...

I'm using Merino Tencel Fingering from Happy Fuzzy Yarns in Steels & Pearls, which is a variegated white to grey/steel. Of course, I'm using US #1 (2.25 mm) circulars for these. I tend to do better on two circulars, apparently. If anything, I certainly go faster with two circulars than DPNs. 

5. Sacrificial Goat #4: started September 25, 2014

This is my fourth version of this project and I think I've got it down to how I want it. There are a few things I wish I could change (like knitting the body in the round) but I've succumb to the fact that the designer knew what she was doing, for the most part. There are a few things I've changed to make life a little easier. I've got most of the pieces made for this (just horns, legs, and the tail left)...I just haven't finished it. I'll have to get on it, though, as it's going to be a Christmas present. 

I'm using US #5 (3.75 mm) needles, both DPNs and straights. The white yarn is Lion Brand Cotton Ease and the brown is Tahki Sky. As this is my fourth one, I should probably note that I've not used an entire skein of either yarn. I may be able to get all five out of the two skeins...we'll see. I have a back-up alternative if I need to use it. We'll see.

6. Waiting for Winter Mittens - Sherri: started November 21, 2014

My last WIP, and most recent start, is the last pair of mittens for Christmas...I've already made four pairs (one pair each for me, Little Man, Cameron, and Jazzlynn) so I've got this down pretty well at this point. I'm actually almost finished with this pair. The first one is done and the second one is past the thumb so I'm just knitting until the end. If I get time to work on them, they should be finished fairly quickly. 

I'm using US #7 (4.5 mm) Signature DPNs and Cascade 220 Superwash in Celery, which is close to celery green. I've used less than one skein for the pair, and I expect it'll be more than half a skein but I won't know for sure until I finish. 



And the last part of this post....Future WIPs :) I have two more projects that I need to finish to round out my Christmas knitting, and that's probably it for the rest of the year (for things I'll actually finish before the end of 2014). These are the two I have in mind.

1. Sacrificial Goat #5. I have one more goat to make for Husband and his coworkers. Little Man also wants one but he can wait. 

2. Sorin. I've been pondering what hat to make Sherri from the same yarn and lo, Carrie released this pattern and it fell into my cart and then into my Ravelry inbox...




Anyway, that's what I have for you on this rainy Wednesday from the San Francisco Bay Area :) Come back on Friday for FO Friday!

3 comments:

  1. You have so many WIP. I am looking forward to your finishing up The Dude (One day!) and getting up some pictures of your projects, Hope you enjoy the rainy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice variety. I'm interested in seeing how your sock projects will come out.

    ReplyDelete